Make your own pleated maxi circle skirt that fits and flatters you perfectly! Free Step-by-step video tutorial with downloads to help you along the way.
Here’s what you get:
- Download your How to Measure tool kit to measure your body accurately, so the skirt fits you properly.
- Get step–by-step instructions for adjusting your pattern, cutting your fabric, sewing and finishing your skirt.
- Get a list of all supplies and equipment needed.
- Get a glossary of sewing terms so you understand the pattern
- Get a pocket pattern if you want to add pockets to your skirt
- Best of all! A fly skirt that fits you perfectly that you made yourself!
How do you get it?
First, download everything you need for your pleated maxi circle skirt below. Second, watch all four videos the first one above, adjusting your pattern, cutting your fabric, and sewing your skirt for step-by-step instruction on making your skirt. Last, send me a picture of you in your skirt!
For those who would like to get started right away, a full supply list with links is below. If you are going to your local fabric/ craft store the supply list is included in the download.
- Sewing Machine:
- (Beginner) Amazon: Brother Sewing Machine XL2600i
- (Beginner/ Intermediate) Amazon: Brother Sewing Machine CS6000i
- Serger Amazon: Brother Serger
- (if you don’t sew often then don’t get this, instead get sewing foot attachment below)
Sewing Machine Attachments (optional)
- Cutter Sewing Machine Attachment Amazon: Brother Side Cutter
- (instead of buying a serger, you attach this piece to your sewing machine)
- Overlock Vertical Foot/ Overcast foot Overlock Vertical Foot/ Overcast foot
- (works with the cutter, to give a serger-like stitch)
- Zipper foot Amazon: Brother Concealed Zipper Foot
- (helps when attaching the invisible zipper)
- Hem foot Amazon: Hemmer Sewing Foot Package
- (makes a neater hem)
- We are using a Vogue Pattern V8882
- Tailors Chalk Amazon: Tailor’s Chalk and Holder
- Pattern Paper Amazon: Pattern Tracing Paper
- (optional- makes it easier to keep your pattern adjustments for the next time you make the skirt)
- (I will show how to buy the right size and adjust it to fit you)
- Thread (buy to match fabric)
- Bobbin (usually comes with sewing machine)
- Fabric Scissors Amazon: All Around Shears
- Seam Ripper Amazon: Seam Ripper
- Straight Pins Amazon: Dressmaker Pins
- 60″ Wide Woven Fabric for skirt- 3 yards, 4 if you want a gaylay to match
- (Crepe, Cotton Blends, Linen Blends, Poplin, Sateen, Broadcloth, Shantung)
- 1 Yard Fusible Interfacing Amazon: Fusible Interfacing
- (for the waistband- to give it stability)
- Muslin 3-4 yards Amazon: 60 ” Wide Muslin Fabric
- (optional- this is if you want to make a test skirt before you make the real one)
- 7″ Invisible zipper (buy to match fabric)
- 2 hook & eyes Amazon: Skirt Hook & Eyes
You can download this list as well as the pocket pattern, glossary of sewing terms and the How to Measure tool kit below. If you have any questions feel free to ask in the comments.