This weekend we celebrated both my daughters birthday’s. They were born 2 years and 5 days apart. Yeah I know what your thinking and yes it happened around our anniversary each year and no we are not having anymore :).
Which brings me to the purpose of this post. My oldest daughter, now 8, wanted to make her own maxi skirt, which my youngest, who will be 6 on Wednesday, quickly said she wanted one too. So if your daughter(s) want one too, here’s what you do.
- Measure her waist
- Measure the length- from her waist to her ankles
- Fabric (depending on measurements- use guide below to determine how much)
- 2” elastic cut to size – enough to go around waist and stretches enough to pull over the hips. (If you want the waistband height to be shorter you can use 1”)
- Sewing machine
- 2 ½” satin ribbon 2x waist measurement- optional
Determine how much Fabric:
- Width of the fabric= Waist measurement x 3
- Height of fabric= Length measurement + 5 ½” (if you are using 2” elastic) + 1” hem
- Sew width fabric ends together- finish seam
- Fold over the top of the fabric 2 ¾” press
- From the folded 2 ½” fold under ½” for a clean finish- top stitch that down, leaving 2” open just enough for the elastic to go through.
- The step above created a channel waistband for the elastic to go in.
- Pin a large safety pin to your ‘measured and cut’ elastic. Use the safety pin to guide the elastic through the channel waistband
- Once elastic is through sew ends together and sew opening to finish the waistband
- Press 1” under
- Fold ½” of the 1” hem and press
- Top stich the hem ½” from bottom edge
- Press all seams and hem
Fold ribbon in half to find the center and tack it down to the center back waistband so that the ribbon covers the waistband.