We are going to do a new challenge! A maxi wrap dress!
Don’t worry, it’s a simple one and I’ll walk you through each step. We are going to make a wrap dress because it flatters every figure and we will adjust it so it fits your body just right. No hiking up in the back or pulling at the bust. I got you.
For those who would like to get started right away, a full supply list with links is below. If you are going to your local fabric/ craft store you can download the supply list at the end of this post.
- Sewing Machine:
(Beginner) Amazon: Brother Sewing Machine XL2600i
(Beginner/ Intermediate) Amazon: Brother Sewing Machine CS6000i
- Serger Amazon: Brother Serger
(if you don’t sew often then don’t get this, instead get sewing foot attachment below)
Sewing Machine Attachments (optional)
- Cutter Sewing Machine Attachment Amazon: Brother Side Cutter
(instead of buying a serger, you attach this piece to your sewing machine)
- Overlock Vertical Foot/ Overcast foot Overlock Vertical Foot/ Overcast foot
(works with the cutter, to give a serger-like stitch)
- Hem foot Amazon: Hemmer Sewing Foot Package
(makes a neater hem)
- We are using a Vogue Pattern V8646
- Tailors Chalk Amazon: Tailor’s Chalk and Holder
- Pattern Paper Amazon: Pattern Tracing Paper
(optional- makes it easier to keep your pattern adjustments for the next time you make the dress)
When buying your pattern take your measurements first, then look at the measurements on the pattern sleeve not the size and buy accordingly. Buy the closest measurement to your bust, the waist, hips and length can be adjusted when cutting the dress.
- Thread (buy to match fabric)
- Bobbin (usually comes with sewing machine)
- Fabric Scissors Amazon: All Around Shears
- Seam Ripper Amazon: Seam Ripper
- Straight Pins Amazon: Dressmaker Pins
- 60″ Wide Woven Fabric for dress- 5 yards, 6 if you want a gaylay to match
- (if you want different fabric as the picture get 3 yards for the bottom and 1 1/2 yards for the top)
(Crepe, Cotton Blends, Linen Blends, Poplin, Sateen, Broadcloth, Shantung)
- 1 yd. of 1/2″ Wide Ribbon (buy to match fabric)
- 1/2″ Wide Single-Fold Bias Tape. (buy to match fabric)
- 2 hook & eyes Amazon: Skirt Hook & Eyes
You can download this list below along with how to measure instructions and the pocket pattern. If you have any questions feel free to ask in the comments.