Here’s what you need to get started
- Cut back skirt with notches marked for sewing
- Cut front skirt with notches marked for sewing
- Cut pockets- optional
- Bias tape or self-bias (shown in this video)
- Hook and eye
- Serger or cutting attachment/ over stitch foot
- Scissors/ snipes
- Straight pins
Prep your cut fabric pattern pieces- make sure all notches are marked
Skirt Side Seam Pockets
- Right sides together, matching side seam notches with pocket, sew pockets to back skirt on each side
- Right sides together, matching side seam notches with pocket, sew pockets to front skirt on each side
Front and back Skirt
- Right sides together, matching center back notches; sew back seam
- Right sides together, matching side seam notches and pocket seams; sew front and back skirts together @ side seam
- Serge side seams including pocket and back seam
Hem skirt bottom
- Change to hem foot
- Fold 1/2” hem, fold again and feed into sewing machine
- Sew ¼” finished hem
Hem front edge
- Fold and press 5/8” hem @ front skirt edge
- Fold half of the 5/8” hem again and press for a clean finish
- Sew top stich ¼” from folded edge
Sew bodice and skirt @ waist
- Right sides together, match side seams of bodice and skirt together, pin in place.
- Match bodice center back with skirt center back seam, pin in place.
- Bodice front should hangover 5/8” to finished skirt hemmed front edge. Pin in place.
- Fill with pins as needed to hold bodice and skirt together, then sew 5/8” seam.
- Serge edge.
- Right sides together – pin bias tape to top of neckline and sew
- Press seam flat toward bias tape
- Fold bias tape @ neckline and press
- Fold bias tape again for inside clean finish
- Top stitch the top neck with ¼” edge stitch
- Right sides together – pin bias biding to front of neckline and sew 5/8” seam allowance
- Trim seam allowance down to ¼” from seam
- Fold bias binding @ neckline seam then fold in half
- Fold bias binding again for inside clean finish
- Top stitch the top neck with 1/8” edge stitch from seam
- Cut ribbon in half and hem one edge on each cut piece
- Sew ribbon to inside right side seam and reinforce
- Sew ribbon to inside left front edge and reinforce
Try the dress on to mark placement of the hook and eye
Hook and Eye
- Add hook part to inside front right dress @ waist seam
- Add ‘eye’ part to marked placement @ waist seam
Press all seams and hems
Add a belt of your choosing for maximum impact!
Now you have a maxi wrap dress that fits you perfectly! Enjoy, and email your pictures, I want to see what you made.
For your convenience you can all downloads for the maxi wrap dress is included below.